The PostModernDad

Trusting the fragments since 2006.

Saturday, July 15, 2006

Ski Run 5K

I just got back from the run. Marci didn't come along on this one, but I did have her instructions "don't call me from the hospital." A buddy of mine who's a pretty serious runner (he's published some stuff in Runner's World) came out for it, so we had a chance to catch up, but all chatter stopped by the first steep hill, when the fun/misery began. I think the course bested the bulk of the competitors. We've had some torrential rain around here the last couple days, so much of the route was an up and downhill mudslick. There was some confusion on the course as well, and a number of people, myself included, missed a turn around an inclining ridge. What really took it out of me was a 50-foot muddy embankment with a rope climb. There was a long line for the rope, so those who elected to forego said rope (stupidly, like I did) resorted to clawing their way up the hill on knuckles and knees. There was an extra "evil" option for those who wanted to do it, which turned out to not be as bad as whatever monster I'd created in my head (essentially traversing another gulch, circling a tree, and back down the gulch). I modified my personal goals several times along the way. My first unrealistic one was not to walk any of the course, my next was don't slide haphazardly down any major inclines, and my last (and the only one I really met) was don't puke.

I've been looking for a way to chart my progress on more traditional running, and this from Apple looks promising. If you're really a dedicated runner, check out Greg's blog. It's loaded with first-hand experience, tips and suggestions for runners, and is an overall fun read.

___________________________________

Our visit with Dr. W. was uneventful: Marci's now in week 23.

___________________________________

We met with the realtor yesterday, who was immediately likeable, young, and a bit quirky. For one thing, she is the inventor of "Wiggle Worm" cat toys, so she brought a couple along for Lulu and Caesar. The things look like little smiling worms and are full of catnip. Caesar liked his so much that he bit her. We're hoping the place sells fast. It's really ideal if someone wants a vintage place (it was built in 1905) that doesn't need work (we've upgraded or replaced almost everything). We initially thought about keeping the place while Marci does her coursework; however, we think we'll want a bigger place when we move back into town again, anyway, so why not shed the responsibility now? The condo by her university (they tell us) should be finished by September. It should have plenty of space for us, and a nice-sized room for The Peanut.

In terms of important future decisions, I've been thinking about toys. It turns out that you can get stuff for kids that you're not embarrassed to leave out if you shop here. There's no reason an innocent child should be the victim of bad design.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home